Sunday, December 19, 2010

yet even M O R E snow


It's still snowing... just crazy to me for some reason. It was quite peaceful watching through the windows today in the warmth of this house, as bare and sterile as it feels. Big flakes, slowly falling- so much like Alaska. Ty spent most of the day outside. Jim even contributed helping him finish off his snowman- it's huge, pretty cool. Ty then moved on to his snow fort that Coleman had fun playing in as well. Quite entertaining and drains a bit of energy at the same time- great for little boys and big boys.
On a side note, we went to our first social event last night- Jim's Christmas party. I could have been just fine skipping this one since I have NO clothes, the BX had NOTHING I could wear and I can't figure out German sizes or stores yet. Yes, their sizes are all different, too. According to my little handy guide- a size 8 1/2 shoe is like a 38 1/2 over here. A size 34 bra is actually a 75!? Pretty sure when I'm ready for new bras, I'll have to just have to just guess and order online, or let the little German ladies figure it out for me over here. For kids, a size 6 is 116 and size 8 is 128. Yes, a little more than I can deal with or remember right now. Thank goodness a friend (my only friend over here thus far) saved me and dressed me... thanks, Laura! It was at a pretty cool soccer arena about 30 minutes from here in a real city- Kaiserslautern. Jim has already been there and pointed out the hardware store to me- looks like Lowes, so I was excited! We actually laughed most of the evening with some really great people- something we weren't expecting but both REALLY needed. It was a buffet with amazing food. Our first taste of this German cuisine and it was actually wonderful.

I tried to order a tap water from the server who let me know they don't have it. Yeah, right. Most of the time (we've heard), they won't give it to you since they don't make any money. The water here is really crisp and wonderful, not sure why they don't drink it. Seems it would be the "conservative" way of Germany to drink their own water- I'm sure it's straight from the Alps. To avoid getting mineral (carbonated) water, I guess you're supposed to order either with gas or without gas. Even ordering it "without gas" I got the bubbily, minerally stuff. Not too bad though. To make Jim's night... we had just met a lady at our table. After just a quick "Hello, my name is Sheila..." She said, "I'm trying to figure out where you're from. Your accent sounds like something from Arkansas..." Seriously? To think when we moved to Kansas, we used to laugh at our friends sounding a little like hicks... did three quick years change my no-accent Alaska voice? Jim thinks this is so funny, especially since she didn't say a word to him about his speaking and he's the one from KENTUCKY! Go figure! Everything else about Kansas grew on me, why not the accent too?

No comments: