Sunday, December 26, 2010

L I V I N G room


This is our living room- an absolute wreck. As with everything else, this move has been all about adapting to this new stage of our new life. Living in this rental house is helping me plan our dream house with a couple things we really like {rolladens, toilets off the floor...} and even more that we absolutely don't like {I'm trying not to focus on this... }. I love having separate living and family rooms- something we'll definitely eventually have again. While I've never been able to achieve an immaculate house, it's nice to have a living room that stays somewhat tidy and presentable. I've decided the immaculate house {in my mind} won't happen until my kids are grown- I'm finally ok with that. Life is moving too fast, I know I need to enjoy them while they're here- messes and all. I really also enjoy not having a tv in the living room. Another thing I'll just have to wait until we move to another house to enjoy. In this houes- this is it, one big happy living area. Right now, we're using temporary furniture from the housing office and a borrowed tv. We love watching movies (or tv) with the big boys once the little guys are in bed.  Before moving, we would pile up on our bed or on the floor in our room. In our hotel, somehow we squished together on our double bed with speakers hooked up to the laptop for a movie each night. Here- with all laminate wood floors, it's super cold, so we take the nice vinyl blue cushions off the couch and chairs to make a "nice" pad on the floor. It's uncomfortable at best, but temporary, right? I keep telling myself this.
Yesterday (Christmas morning), after getting up early with the boys we were all relaxing on the floor watching a movie. About 9:00am, our landlords showed up to wish us a merry Christmas. Imagine their surprise when Jim invited them in and they looked at the wreck of a living room- way worse than this photo. Again, they speak no English. She got about half way down the stairs and asked me (in German)... "Wow- the whole family... Is everyone healthy?" I know they've never seen so many kids in one house, and possibly never this much of a mess. I tried to explain we were all just sleeping. I think they'll be quite surprised to see when we have our real stuff we can actually make a house look nice even with having so many kids. They have one, maybe two kids over here so four kids is a shock to Germans! I really need to work on my German... it's hard not being able to explain myself! When we told the boys how surprised she was to see so many kids- Justin said, "Didn't they know we have 4 boys?" Without missing a beat Jim said, "Nope, we had to lie and say just two kids in order to get a contract on this house." Ahhh... so much fun.
On a positive... here's a deer we spotted in back of our house this morning. Caden thought it was a little guy, but Jim's pretty sure they're just all a bit smaller here. Any size, they're pretty cool to see running through the woods. There's a nice creek running through with big tall trees. I'm sure it's going to be beautiful once Spring arrives and things start turning green...  

No comments: