Monday, December 6, 2010

half a S I N K


I woke up this morning feeling ready for the new week. Snow is once again falling, and I'm working to appreciate its beauty. This is the view out my bedroom window. I decided to try really, really hard to change my outlook and be a little more positive. Then, I did the dishes. We rarely leave dirty dishes overnight, but last night was one of those nights. I just don't know how Germans do it! We have a dishwasher, but don't really want our SOLO dishes to melt so we've done them by hand. Plus, we only have 1 pan and 1 pot right now, so what you see on the counter is it! The boys have been drinking out of Gatorade bottles, Jim's actually been using a cleaned out Smucker's jelly jar. We all know it's temporary. Doesn't seem like it would be that hard to wash, right? Wrong. Feels like I'm camping with NO space. We do know we have to get an island or table or something to extend the work space and move the microwave. That will free up the 2nd half of our "counter" and help a little. But, on top of this limited counter space, I only have one side of the sink. What the heck? Thankfully, my parents taught me really well to hand wash dishes (thanks, m & d) but... how am I supposed to do it with only half a sink? There's no place to rinse without making a mess! I've tried filling the sink with water and the dishes, then set them up on the 2nd (useless) side to rinse. Problem is you can only fit about 2-3 things up there at a time to dry on my laid- out towel. By the time I'm finished, I'm soaked as the water goes everywhere... It was really fun trying to rinse the pot with the sink still full of water. Guess I should have done it last?! Who knows? The dishes are clean, but I know there has to be an easier way!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sheila, you may have to fill a separate container with your hot soapy water and the sink as your rinse area. (When you get your stuff, of course.) LOL.:-)
Pam

Anonymous said...

Also,you can use your dishwasher as your drying area, instead of the counter with a towell. I've done that before.
Pam