Thursday, December 2, 2010

Laundry... our Downy addiction


We go through SO much LAUNDRY! My washer/dryer is one thing I've definitely missed since experiencing hotel life in this foreign country. In our hotel, they hang everything up to dry since utilities are so expensive. They said if they used the dryer for everything, they'd be bankrupt. In a way, it feels like they're a bit behind the times- in so many other ways smart and conservative. I sure hope to embrace this way of living with less waste. To do laundry, I have to ask for help from the owner as you can see from the machine, it's a little hard to read. The washers are much smaller and take an hour for a normal cycle. The dryers (just as small) and take TWO hours to dry. Even then, clothes are still not crisp and dry as I'm used to. In addition- here at the hotel they charge 6 Euro to wash/dry a load. Today, that's about $8 - $9 USD. I've been making the boys (all of us) wear jeans 2-3days, but they have to change underwear & socks daily...
Luckily, the base is loaning us appliances for our house and we requested an American washer/dryer. Once we get our first bill (electric), I think we'll seriously consider putting up a drying line in the laundry room. My boys (especially the little ones) are addicted to Downy in their laundry- don't think we can give that up any time soon!

1 comment:

The Dickey Family said...

We are addicted too... it is all Granny's fault! Josh has always talked about how her house smells like downy and bananas. I have just always bought whatever was on sale but our new w/d is h-e so we have only used downy since. You really can't beat it!