Monday, December 20, 2010

winter W O N D E R L A N D

As much as I've referred to snow in the last few weeks, you would think I've either never seen snow or I absolutely love the white stuff. In fact, neither is true. I think I've had enough snow to last my entire life and definitely prefer temperatures in the 90's and 100's. I don't ski and failed miserably at my attempt(s) years ago to snowboard. Once the cold hits, no matter how many layers I'm wearing, I seem to always freeze up like a popcycle- numb from the toes on up. That being stated, I'm trying to figure out myself why I'm so fascinated with it right now. It snowed all weekend, then last night rain was falling melting it away. This morning out of now where it's dumping more snow. Huge {{beautiful}} snowflakes. It looks like a picture-perfect winter wonderland. As crazy as Germans are about Christmas, we just haven't seen that many lights outside. We're guessing it's because of the high cost of electricity- it probably isn't too practical. That's just a guess. Without lights, the snow definitely has made it feel more like the holidays.
Justin compared it to cotton. The other three just run for their coats and boots to head out and play. Well, Caden prefers to shovel (of course) the others play. Ladybug runs her crazy circles outside, then is ready to be inside where it's warm. We heard the other day that this winter is supposed to be colder with more snow than this area has seen in a thousand years. Maybe our transition would have been easier if we had moved in the Spring. Nothing like a big, cold... Welcome to Germany!
A couple laws we found out about dogs from the newcomers orientation...
** If you leave your dog in the car {even with the windows cracked} and the police see- they can break open your car, let your dog run free and leave you a ticket. Nice.
** If you leave your dog home and it is heard barking for more than 30 minutes... the police can and will break in to your house, let your dog run free and leave you a ticket. Maybe this is why Germans take their dogs everywhere.

No comments: