Sunday, August 21, 2011

coleman is a F I S H

I finally broke down and cried in front of her. Real tears. Tears of joy. I don't think I got the scrunched-up ugly cry face, but tears flowed out that I couldn't stop.

A couple weeks ago, I saw Alexandra outside moving rocks. She had a wheel barrow with a flat tire. I jumped on Ty to get out and help her. Without complaint, he ran out there and helped with her yard project.

As he finished up helping, she let him know that her mom has a pool in her backyard. The boys were invited to swim whenever they would like to. What a nice invitation- I couldn't believe it.

Yesterday morning, we were headed out to shop and ran in to Alexandra's husband in the driveway. After a few minutes of chatting he said, "You know my mother-in-law has a pool. Feel free to send the boys over whenever you would like." Again, I was taken back with how warm and nice they BOTH are. We had a nice warm day yesterday and decided to take them up on it.

Jim and I first walked over there {without boys} to make sure it was ok. They were all in the backyard which made us kind of shy away thinking we'd come back another day. Instead, we walked up to the pool {she was swimming} and asked if it was ok to bring them over.

I think I asked about ten times just to make sure it was ok. She said, "Not a problem. Do not hesitate- yes, they can swim." So, we got Coleman and Caden and headed back to the pool.

Coleman had a blast and didn't come out of the pool the whole time we were over there. Conversation was so nice- she brought out lemonade and ice-cream cones for everyone {special for Caden since he wasn't feeling well}. Yummy Italian ice cream. Then, she asked me a question.

She said, "Sheila. Would you like another garden?" I think I had a confused look on my face. I wasn't sure what she was saying. I know garden is what they call their yards- but was she just going to pull one out of no where?"

She then said, "Come. Let me show you." We walked back just a little bit to a back section of her mom's yard. She asked if we would like to use the space. 

There is an area you can see was once set up for a garden. Trees and lots of space with fence around. It's a little overgrown with grass and a little bumpy but, it's a yard.
This is the point I lost it. I said something to the fact that we could have a garden next summer and work in the dirt. She said, "You can do whatever you want to. Barbeque, garden, play. Whatever." I looked at her and said in response, "You are too nice to us. You have no idea."

"Sheila, Sheila, Sheila... oh, no," she said as she put her arm around me. I probably shocked her- I'm sure she thought I was so silly looking at this weedy, grassy empty lot of land. It's true. I'm so grateful we found them this early into our time here in Germany. 

As we left the pool, she said we needed to come back today and swim more since it was supposed to be warm again. She especially liked swimming with Coleman and said to him, "Coleman- you are a fish."

What a difference one person can make on your life- for good or bad.

I feel so blessed right now that we have her.

No comments: