Friday, August 12, 2011

really H A P P Y

That's a little too long to have garbage on the top of my blog- sorry. After almost a week without the Internet, we're back online and in touch with the outside world. Last week, we had a cable {not so bright} guy come to re-align our satellite for the free {Armed Forces Network} limited television that we have here.
In the process, he cut off our Internet and phone. The big boys headed out to the library to get online. Jim had it at work. I went without.

My husband {as sweet as he usually is} said he thinks I might have had the hardest time without it. At first, I got a little defensive. What's he talking about? I can live without the computer- no problem. Fact is, I think I did. Once again, he's {probably} right. To me, this feels like a journal and missing a week is missing a lot.

Today, I'm really happy. Happy for simple things.
It's Friday. I get more of my husband the next couple days which I always love. If it was during the school year, I'd be excited for more time with the boys too. But, being summer- I've kinda had enough of them this week.
I'm happy for the new sheer curtains in our kitchen. Alexandra had them made and brought them over this week. Nothing extravagant- a simple sheer but I love them. I think it makes the room feel finished.

With her coming over this week, she asked about the boys- even mentioning them by name which I couldn't believe. Again, she asked if we're happy here. She then said, "I really hope you don't have to move." I told her no way- we're staying put, we love it here. She responded, "Ooh, but is that a guarantee?"
I guess nothing in the Air Force is guaranteed. It's a nice feeling to know she wants us here. We're not just renters that are an inconvenience to them.

I'm happy for new plants. There's a yard-sale site here kind of like a Craigslist for the military here who are constantly coming and going. I love house plants and obviously couldn't bring ours from Kansas.

I've slowly added one at a time that I've found on this site. It's much cheaper than buying all new pots and plants.

This week, I got five {5} beautiful, healthy plants in their pots all for $20 from a lady. Isn't that a silly thing to be so happy about?

On a super tight budget, plants aren't high on the priority list- it was nice to find such a bargain. It might sound funny to say they were in their pots, but seriously- I bought a plant one time {here} that the lady had taken out of the pot and put in a plastic bag, ugh.

I'm so happy the big boys {at this moment} are at equipment check out for football. Yeah! That means football season is around the corner. We're super thrilled that after a couple years off, Ty decided to try out as well. We'd LOVE to see them both out on the field together. They head off to camp on Sunday.

On the subject of football, it makes me happy that Justin's coach has named him as one of the captains for this years team. It's not just the fact that he's a captain which is {I guess} kind of cool. It's the fact that in spite of never having seen him play football, he can already see the love and dedication my son has for the game.

Working and working and working for so many years- to move for his final {senior} season with a new team wasn't easy. I know I've had a lot of guilt. It's reassuring to know he's already being seen for what he's become rather than having to spend half the season proving himself.

It's nice to see him so excited and ready to get out and lead by example. I'm also happy his ankle {while still black and green with bruising down to the ends of his toes} is doing much better- he thinks he's ready to go.
Mostly, we're happy this week to be done with the Russians. Totally done with that negative chapter of our lives that I won't bring up again. We had to get a housing liason to help us get our money back.

They called and called {five times a day} and Rosa wouldn't answer her cell phone. She keeps it in her front pocket. Jim told housing that they weren't on vacation. Finally, the housing lady called on the housing phone {again, no answer} then, she called right back on her cell phone {a new non-base number} which Rosa immediately picked up. I think that's just awful- so spiteful.

They already have new renters in and will continue to rent to desperate Americans looking for a house. I don't get it. We even found out the housing office had a file on them already. They tried to charge previous renters for cracks in the walls from the house settling. Insane. How are they even allowed to continue renting? I have no idea.

They charged us a ton and didn't give us our interest on our $4300 USD deposit they were holding {required of landlords} but, we're done. Done.

I think more than anything this week, I feel a new calm that I haven't felt since leaving Kansas. It's almost like I feel like I can handle anything now. We've weathered the storm and come out ok.

I'm quite certain when our time is up, we'll be excited to get back to the US, but for now- it's ok. We can hopefully enjoy our time here as opposed to enduring our time here. Our house finally feels like a home.

I think that makes all the difference in the world.

No comments: