Monday, August 15, 2011

C A D E N S tonsils are O U T

They're out. We're home from Caden's surgery- his tonsils and adenoids are gone forever. What a relief. He had a little anxiety while waiting for them to take him back. Once again, we had a wonderful anesthesiologist who offered some happy juice to take off the edge.

It not only made Caden happy, Jim and I couldn't stop laughing. Within ten minutes, he couldn't even form a word. Still fighting lying down, he tried to get up several times while his eyes grew heavier by the minute.

Watching his eyes roll back and mumbling words at the same time was very entertaining.

If there's one thing Caden hates- it's anyone laughing at him. He wasn't so out of it he didn't notice our laughing and tried to form the words, "stop laughing." It came out more like "ttt laff..."
Oh, it was funny- good stuff. I don't know why they don't offer it more- why make surgery more traumatic than it already is? He now doesn't remember a thing.

He did have a tough time coming out of the anesthesia in the recovery room. When we were brought in, he was thrashing around and they were having troubles holding him down. I think the assistant was more than a little relieved to see us step in and help with him.

He ripped the monitor off his hand, so they put it on his toe. When the nurse went to give him more pain medicine, she realized his IV was out- somehow he knocked it out as well. As soon as I saw this, I felt all the blood leave my face and started seeing stars. There's something horrible about seeing your kids in pain. I don't always handle it so well.

The nurse quickly got me a chair and a soda to get some sugar in me as well. I think I panicked thinking they were going to have to put a new one in. Luckily, I recovered before passing out and we avoided a new IV stick in our little guy.

I know everyone handles anesthesia differently, but I can't help but wonder if personality plays a part as well. When we first saw Coleman in the recovery room {last month} he was resting calmly. Moaning, but calm. Caden = crazy thrashing. Coleman had a couple extra doses of pain medication. Caden went without.

After lots of throwing up, he was finally able to get up and walk to the bathroom.

We let him know as soon as he could make it there- we could go home. The nurse would push him out to the curb in the wheelchair.

Of course he immediately said, "I don't want a wheelchair. I'm going to walk." Coleman was quite content taking the free ride down in the wheelchair.

Caden took it too, just a little {or, a lot} more reluctant. These two are definitely day and night!

There's no place like home and we're planning on a calm day of rest.

Day One {not even half the day} at football camp and we already got a call from the coach. It's Ty this time. While catching a ball he has fractured his finger in two places. Not a great start to the week. I think the German hospital was closed {either their normal long lunch or another German holiday}, so they're heading back later. We should get a new update this afternoon.

If it's not one, it's another. Have I ever mentioned life with boys is never dull.

No comments: