Tuesday, August 30, 2011

german I M M E R S I O N

The boys all seemed to have a great first day of school. Whew. As a mom, you always want them to walk in the door excited and smiling.

Poor little Coleman had a rough start as his brothers dropped him off way down the road leaving him with a fairly good walk to his school.

The plan was for Justin to drop him off, then Jim left work to meet him at school to get him to his classroom. Jim was there- Coleman wasn't anywhere to be found.

After looking and looking for Coleman, he finally found him- tears streaming down his cheeks, lost and scared not knowing where to go. In a school of over a thousand kids, {just K-2} it's not hard to get lost.

Hugs from dad helped and he was on his way. I worried about him all day hoping he had a quick turn-a-round.

When I let Justin know what happened- he said he didn't even think about it and did feel horrible. I know he was full of nerves in anticipation of getting his schedule {which they didn't get until yesterday morning} and starting his last year of high school.

Coleman was nervous about his first day with new things in store for him this year. He was greeted by his teacher with a "Guten Morgen."

Sunday night while looking on the class lists that were posted, we found out that Coleman got into the partial German immersion program. With such a high demand and only a few classes, I really didn't think we had a chance. I filled out the form with high hopes and now I'm really glad I did- I'm most excited.

For a good portion {at least half, I think} of the day, he'll be learning and conversing in German. Several subjects will be taught in German such as math, social studies and science. He said if they don't ask to go to the bathroom in German, they don't get to go. He then let me know he forgot how to ask, but it was a good thing he didn't have to go all day. We better work on it.

I think it's wonderful- can't wait to see how much he learns and what he comes home with. Excited and smiling as he walked off the bus, I was so happy to see he rebounded. Today, he decided to ride the bus today to and home from school- way better than getting ditched by older brothers.

No comments: