Wednesday, January 19, 2011

blue S K Y

I'm working really hard to focus on the blue skies today rather than the dark clouds headed our way. Overall, things are starting to calm down and get a little easier as we're starting to get in to a groove here in Deutschland. 
** I don't have to think quite so long before throwing trash away {in our four separate garbage cans} however, I make C E R T A I N not to miss a single trash day. The first thing I still look for outside when I open the rolladens in the morning is trash and if any neighbors have it out on the sidewalk. With collection every two weeks {every four weeks for glass} I still haven't figured it out since it's a separate pick up for paper, gelb, glass and regular trash. I still try to shove as much stuff down the drain in the kitchen sink since we don't have a garbage disposal... is that bad?
** Driving is becoming a lot easier as long as I stay on my little route... over the river and through the woods between our house and the base. I'm no longer intimidated by round-a-bouts and the impatient Germans on my tail {constantly- no matter how fast you drive} don't bother me one bit.  The narrow roads {about 1 1/2 lanes with two-way traffic} don't cause panic any more unless I see a bus heading my direction. I think I'm doing pretty good. Jim's brother just him how driving over here was going. Jim promptly said... "Oh, it's easy." That was Sunday. Monday, we drove to Kaiserslautern {a real city}. Actually, I drove, Jim rode since I was dropping him off at the train station. We did alright getting to the train station- ended up driving right up to the door. I felt a little proud for finding our way until... I saw a police marching {quickly} straight at me. I rolled my window down. As he approached, I said in my most timid voice... "I'm in the wrong place, aren't I?" He didn't hold back one bit raising his voice to me... "YES, YOU ARE IN THE WRONG PLACE and you ENTERED IN THE WRONG DIRECTION." All I could say was, "Sorry.... I'm so sorry, I'm so sorry." I've been reading way too many books with wrongful imprisonment in foreign lands... didn't know what this angry German police was going to do to me but I was nervous, I can admit it. All I did was drive in the area for busses and pedestrians only but he was furious. A BIG oops. About that time, Jim returned to the van to grab his suitcase. He could tell I was freaked out, gave me a quick kiss and grabbed his bag. He said I about drove off with the door open... I think that's the first time he's ever left that I haven't cried, I was too focused on getting the heck out of there. I think when I pick him up, I'll let him drive home since it's so easy!
** I'm also finally starting to make a little progress on our house with fewer and fewer boxes each day. I even put the first couple pictures up on the wall this morning. Oh, we still have boxes and piles everywhere with things I just don't know what to do with {I really miss my linen closet} but, it's starting to get a bit more comfortable and feel like a home. In time...

1 comment:

Mac and Starr said...

It really does look nice and cozy now! I love hearing about everything! Love ya*