Saturday, January 22, 2011

number sixty eight

I know football is long over... I just found these pictures on the school's Web site {mulvanefootball.com} and thought I'd post them. In receiving orders to Germany we were told Jim had to report no later than November 30th. As sad as I was having to move, I was relieved to know we could stay in Kansas long enough to make it through Justin's football season. They ended their season on a fabulous note as district champs, then bi-district champs in the next round. It was a very emotional time {still is for me} having to leave this amazing football program with outstanding coaches, strong kids and wonderful parents who will remain life-long friends of ours. We were sucked in to the small town of Mulvane which made it all the harder to move our family. After their last game, Justin's coach gave him a helmet {signed by all the players and coaches} and let him keep his #68 jersey- both will be treasured forever.  As we were driving away from our house and from Kansas, Justin's best friend Chris texted him to let him know he was named honorable mention for the league in offense. So exciting to see rewards come in after so many hours {years} of hard work, sweat and even a few tears. Such a proud parent moment. We feel so lucky to have such amazing boys- each working hard and doing some really great things.
I wish I had the drive, dedication and passion to working out that my son has. He is most at home in the weight room and loves just about anything to do with fitness and working out. I think it's been the best stress relief for him as we've transitioned over here. He's been working out on his lunch hour {Ty has started as well} and now stays after school three days a week to lift. This morning, he is working out with Jim. Yes- he set his alarm for 8:15 on a Saturday morning to go run with his dad. Jim has his PT test this week, so he's been a little more dedicated in preparing for it. He's never failed one or even come close, he just likes to score as high as he can. They test them on push-ups and sit-ups {one minute time limit for each}, a mile and a half run and then tape their waist. {I personally think they should take broad shoulders and muscle in to consideration... just my opinion.} While he runs just fine, he'd much rather lift weights. The push ups are easy for him, the run a little more of a challenge to get his time down. I know he'll do just fine. Maybe one of these days, I'll get motivated and run with them... I just wish the passion was contagious!


He was a left tackle... as strong as he is, he needs to put on some weight going up against much bigger guys!



No comments: