Tuesday, January 11, 2011

one W E E K, really?

I'm not quite sure what I was thinking. It's been one week exactly since the movers showed up at our door and proceeded to unload our household goods. Of course, in the weeks leading up to our delivery I had it all figured out {in my head}. I knew where most of it would go and how I'd go about putting it away. In my estimate, I really thought within a week {no kidding} I'd be in a good place with just about everything in place. Today, I'm pretty sure I forgot to take "real life" in to consideration. Half a day getting our van, up all night with a sick Coleman, day trip with the boys, Caden having an "off" day, cooking dinner... As hard as we work each day, every room still feels like a total wreck to me with boxes everywhere. Once settled in our last house, I repeatedly expressed {quite loudly} that I NEVER wanted to move again- ever, ever, ever! I'm now reminded why... moving is simply exhausting- that's all there is to it!
Total CHAOS... Caden's such a good helper... Ugh!!
One thing Jim and I seem to do really well is tackle projects together. The boys {especially Justin} are absolutely convinced that we love to work. We love home improvement, we love clean, we love organization, we love being together. But, I'm not so sure that completely means we love to work- it just happens that way- we work! Plus, we want our boys to learn the value of hard work. The projects with our house and land in Kansas were never ending... finishing our basement, our shop, our land, our business, the boys... it really was a full three years. One thing we are learning about ourselves in this stage of life is that we are terrible at estimating completion times or dates for these projects we get wrapped up in. Once we start on something we like to finish it- quickly. Why take six months to finish our basement {like normal people} when we can do it in six weeks working every spare second of the day and night while KILLING ourselves at the same time? We're not afraid to undertake big jobs, but you'd think by now we would learn to pace ourselves. This move is no different. We have our beds put together and dressers are in place. Our living room is set up and comfortable. This weekend, we worked on our kitchen together- the one room I've struggled with the most. Jim set up two shelving units in our laundry room as an extension of our kitchen since next to nothing fits in our little kitchen. A table that once was a living room accent piece now makes a nice microwave stand and the drawers are full of kitchen utensils. We're getting there, I just have to remind myself to be patient. Maybe one room a week would be more realistic...

No comments: