Saturday, January 8, 2011

B R A T mit brotchen

We took a quick afternoon trip east about an hour, fifteen minutes for our first official road trip in Germany! Now that we can all fit in our vehicle, we felt the need to get out and see something cool. We stopped on the way for a little "brat mit brotchen" from a food stand. McDonalds was next door but Jim insisted this was our "German" day... brats it was! Ketchup was an extra 30 Euro cent (about 40 cent) which I thought was funny. We were right next to a hardware store, so I ran in to grab some bottled water- not so. We drink a lot of water and are not used to it not being as readily available. I found flavored water- flavored mineral water that was.

Heidelberg is a beautiful city with a wonderful view from the top of the castle. After two days of rain, most of our snow is gone, roads were dry and sun was out! Perfect for a little drive, a little walking and a little fresh air. I'll post more tomorrow...

1 comment:

Carinne said...

Heidleberg was my favorite city I visited in Germany. I hope you got to tour the castle. I really loved it. I also really enjoyed a Rhine River cruise we took. There are dozens of castles all along the banks. It was really beautiful....although the summer would be a better time probably. The Cologne Gothic Cathedral is fun too, although not particularly beautiful. I don't like gothic, but still cool. Hope you get to do plenty of touring around Europe. I can send you a list of my favorite cities I've visited. How fun.