Wednesday, January 12, 2011

der Backerei


Now that we have our van, Caden and I have a little more freedom while the big boys are at school and daddy is at work. We're both quite content to stay at home, but it's nice to get out if we want to or need to. This morning, it was a quick trip to the bakery. Yum! Most villages here have their own bakery. I think most Germans shop every day which is why they don't need a huge fridge as we've come to rely on. The bakery in Oberstaufenbach shut down just before we moved here, but the next village over is just a quick two-minute drive. We stuck a few euro in Caden's wallet, so he was ready to pay. The one and two Euro dollars are both coins, so it really feels like small change. The German lady spoke no English, but Caden had no problem pointing so she knew which donut he wanted! He even said "Danke" (thank-you) and "Tschuss" (good-bye) unprompted as we left- this is big for him. While he's definitely my loudest kid {by a landslide}, he's also the most reserved (Justin's a close second) with people he doesn't know. With his birthday in October, he just missed the deadline for starting kindergarten. We were going to start him in preschool this year, until we found out we were moving. We decided there was no sense in starting him just to pull him out two months later.  I know most five-year-olds have been in preschool two years by now, but most days, I kind of like having him home. He actually loves being home and really has no interest in going to preschool- especially since we threaten to throw him in German school here.  He knows he has it good with me all to himself! I think starting him in kindergarten in the fall will be soon enough. For now, I'll keep my little helper around.

1 comment:

Kota's Mom said...

For some silly reason that post made me cry. They grow up WAY too fast!!! Love and miss you all!!