Friday, January 21, 2011

our P A T C H of grass

We have our daddy back- everything is much better now. I'm the first to admit, I know I'm a bit spoiled having him home and quite the baby when he's gone. I manage to hold things together when has to travel, I just really love having him home. I like seeing his toothbrush next to mine. I love that he kisses me every morning as he leaves and every evening as he returns home. I sleep better knowing he's next to me.
Caden went with me to the train station and to my surprise we made it just fine- no run ins with the police, thankfully. I even found the parking garage adjacent to the train station. Only problem we had was getting out. We swiped our parking ticket, then credit card but the arm just wouldn't let us out of the garage. After having to back up {quite irritating to those behind us, I'm sure} Jim went and asked the attendant for help. He paid at an ATM-looking box next to the office. I guess you're supposed to pay before you get to the point of the exit, then when you exit and swipe your ticket it lets you out. Still, not sure where or how this works...

An aerial view (from Justin's bedroom window) of our back area... the "garden" as it is referred to here
There are a lot of people in Germany. I think something like 81 million people in this country, the size of the state of Montana. Montana's population is about 975,000 people. Quite a contrast. Germany also has the third most immigrants in the world- lots of people from everywhere. I think part of the reason for so many rules is the fact that there are so many people living so close together. I'm tryng to be objective... and positive!
We live a little ways out in what feels like the country. Tractors frequently drive past, sheep are across the road on the hillside, cow and horses are everywhere much to mine and Caden's delight. To others, it might seems as though we have a huge yard- yes, our little patch of grass and slab of concrete. At first, we thought the yard went all the way back to the brook. We quickly realized the German neighbors have a pie-shaped piece of land with the whole back as their yard. {the white fence at the end of the concrete is it} Then, Johannes has nicely sectioned off his rental properties to leave the land behind for him. A lot of houses simply have no yard at all, so we feel lucky. As much mowing as we've done in the last three years, this will be a quick weed wack and it's done. It also feels somewhat private at least without neighbors behind us. I love to listen to the brook babbling especially after a long rain when it's full. Very calming. As green as it is now, I can't wait to see the trees fill in and green up. Spring and Summer can't come fast enough!

No comments: