Thursday, January 13, 2011

it's R A I N I N G

Another rainy day here in Southern Europe. The kind of day that just calls for jammies and curling up with a good book under a warm blanket. All of our December snow is long gone making it a bit darker outside. Definitely more like the Pacific Northwest, more of what we anticipated. Even being winter, we have noticed how green everything is and probably remains all year long- super green from SO much rain! Even as the snow melted, you could see the patches of vibrant green grass underneath. 
Before moving here, {I can openly admit} I was a totally sucked in to my favorite {reality} tv shows. My favorites were Dancing with the Stars, The Bachelor, Biggest Loser, Ultimate Fighter and The Apprentice. We had our nights stacked filling every night with tv and used our DVR to make certain we didn't miss an episode. That's a lot of {wasted} time, but I couldn't seem to pull myself away from it. Of course, I had to watch the news every night as well. By the time the news was over and I'd go to read I'd fall asleep. It's no wonder I couldn't get through a book.
Now, we have TV, but it's not quite the same. Here it's called AFN {Armed Forces Network} with about ten channels. We bought a satellite box, had it hooked up and we're good to go- no monthly fees which is nice. We mainly got it because UFC fights are all free as opposed to $45 each on PPV in the states. Jim's not too much of a sports fan but loves his fighting. The shows they air are usually about a day delayed, but it's still nice to be able to have access. Justin can watch football and basketball as well- something we thought was important to ease the transition over here.
We have the box downstairs, which means only movies on the tv in our bedroom. As a result, I've gotten a lot more reading in and I've really enjoyed it! I've been reading recommendations from friends {I love goodreads.com} and picked a few others up on my own. I didn't plan it but, the last five books I've read all dealt with imprisonments- all really intriguing books which sucked me in. All helped to put this stage of my life in to a little better perspective- things just really aren't that bad.
The Hiding Place and Number the Stars both are about hiding Jewish refugees from the occupying Germans. Both quick reads, both full of history. What a horrible, horrible time. Amazing example of super strong women.
I'm always captivated by journalism-related stories, and happened to run across Euna Lee's book from her five months spent in a North Korean prison. I watched on tv as they returned home but I really wanted to hear their stories of what really happened during their captivity. After finishing her book, I read Laura Ling's book {written with her sister Lisa Ling}. The girls were kept apart for most of the time but experiences are similar. The World is Bigger Now and Somewhere Inside both kept my attention from start to finish. 


The last book I just finished made me most grateful for freedoms we enjoy. Between Two Worlds is Roxana Saberi's {another journalist} account of her life and time in prison {100 days} in Iran. Horrible conditions, terrible interrogations and absolutely no justice system. I get the crazy journalist mindset but even if I were single {without my kids}, I don't think I'd ever go as far as to live in one of these dangerous foreign countries- too, too risky for me!

Almost forgot... one more I just read in the last two weeks... she was in hiding during the Rwandan Holocaust and lived through it. Horrible, horrible, horrible. I can't even imagine. While stuck in this itty-bitty bathroom, she chose to spend her time learning English- pretty amazing. Reading this really helped give me a new, fresh outlook on life and made me so grateful for what I have.

I've moved on to the Hunger Games- Ty's been begging me to start the series. After this, I think next I'll go for a little lighter subject matter! Oh, I love to read... just had to take my tv away to remind me! 

No comments: