Wednesday, March 9, 2011

H U N D R E D S of them

It is definitely one of those grey, color-of-Europe days. The sun has already hidden behind the abundance of clouds and a cold wind is blowing. On the bright side, the temperatures are warming up a little making it a little more comfortable outside. As Caden and I headed out for our daily walk, I looked at the neighborhood houses with a different perspective. Knowing I'm not the only one who thinks it can be draub and grey in this country, I can't help but wonder if they add color to their houses to help cheer things up just a little.

Colors we would likely never use for the outsides of our houses and even consider tacky are very normal over here. Lots of yellows, pinks, oranges and purples. It's not unusual to pass by a huge, beautiful house then wonder what they were thinking painting it lavender with a lime green trim.  Or, dreamcycle orange with pink trim or bubble gum pink with coral shutters. They come in all varieties.

Really, I can't blame them. If color makes them happy, more power to them.


Toward the end of our walk, we were turning around to head back and I happened to spot this beautiful herd {are they even referred to as a herd?} of deer on the hillside. Hundreds of them- even from a distance, they were absolutely beautiful. They wouldn't all fit in one camera frame- they covered the hill. It felt like we should be at San Diego Wild Animal Park or up in Denali Park looking at the caribou. Instead, they're just minutes from our house- practically in our back yard. We stood watching for a minute- enjoying the calmness surrounding the area. Not sure I can bring Jim back- he might be tempted to pull his bow out.

What a great walk- a little fresh air does do the mind good. I have to admit, I even got three {3} little grandpas and one {1} grandma to say hello to me as we walked by. I'm sure they didn't quite know what to take of my outgoing "Guten Tag" but they each managed to squeak out a soft, "Hallo" while continuing on with their work. Two were sweeping... Ah, I wonder if they ever get tired of sweeping...

No comments: