Wednesday, March 2, 2011

close to home

As I'm getting ready to head to bed, my thoughts keep returning to the shooting that took place this afternoon in Frankfurt, Germany. We were actually on base all afternoon and weren't aware of the incident.  The only thing Jim heard before leaving work was that security was heightened- even going into and out of his building.  Once we returned home, we learned from mom {in Alaska} that the two U.S. airmen were shot dead at the airport in Frankfurt. Two others wounded. My heart hurts for the loss their families are suffering.

I'm so thankful to be lying next to my husband tonight knowing we are safe and we are together. Just two weeks ago as he made his trip to Texas, he was one of those US service men flying in and out of the Frankfurt airport- about an hour and a half away from where we live. I know we're a military family. Having a husband who is home every night and not deployed, it's a little easier to take his safety for granted. Horrible occurances like today hit a little too close to home, bringing me back to reality.

I know I've struggled adjusting to Germany and have done {way} more than my fair share of complaining. Tragic incidents such this have a way of putting life back in to perspective. It's a little harder to complain about piddily stuff when I think of a wife who may have lost her husband or a mother who lost her son today. I am so grateful- we are blessed. I have absolutely nothing to complain about.

1 comment:

Jody said...

I LOVE reading your posts (good and bad days) :) it really does make us miss there... but it also reminds me of the things that drove me crazy i forget about... that all being said, the shootings were tragic and horrible and like you said we are truly blessed...