Monday, March 7, 2011

rough W E E K E N D

It was a little bit of a rough weekend around here. We learned that our buyers officially backed out of the deal to purchase our house. We refused their $26,000 estimate to "fix" the siding. To us, it looks like the perfect way for them to get out of the deal without losing their earnest money. An excuse. Jim was right to not get his hopes too high in the beginning. That is a fault of mine and I haven't figured out how to hold back. Normally the optimist, I easily get excited. I can't help it. Most frustrating is the month we've wasted since they signed the contract, ugh. Back to square one.

Coleman ended up with a bad stomach bug Saturday night that wiped him out. Again, I'm so grateful for a husband who can handle cleaning up puke because I sure can't. I know, I'm lame and can't stomach anything. Even thinking about puke, I start heaving. Without complaining, he cleans up after every sick kid every single time. He stripped and washed all of the bedding. I do better on the other end- snuggling with the sick child once they are cleaned up and covered in baby powder to smell good.

Pretty much since we arrived here, I've been struggling to find energy. Normally a medium to high energy person I just don't feel my normal self. I'm sure winter and the dark had a lot to do with it. Moving, stress and adjusting have also contributed. I know I could lose some weight and start working out, but I can't help but wonder if this house is a possible factor. Runny noses, congestion, coughing- we've all had a lot of it. I'd like to get rid of it! It's not like I stay in bed all day, I'm up, running around, I just don't feel that great.

I air it out daily and keep the windows open as long as we can stand the cold, but we still have mold. This can't be healthy, can it? Little black dots in the bathrooms and the laundry room and I keep those windows open almost all the time. A few weeks ago, we noticed a leak going down this entire wall- straight from our shower above into the living room. You can see the water stains all the way down, then the mold growing at the bottom.

We showed Johannes. He came and replaced the drain and did something in there. All I know is he said to me with excitement as he finished the job, "Ein Hundert Percent Gut." {one hundred percent GOOD} But, the mold was never addressed. I think over here, they are maybe just used to it. I also think that might be part of the reason they're outside as much as they are- for the fresh air. Caden and I have been out walking more the last week, which has already helped a little. He's out playing football or soccer or running every day- maybe this is why he healthy and full of energy while I'm not.

I just imagine the whole inside of the wall with horrible nasty growing funk. If this is what we can see- what is going on the inside? Plus, it still leaks in the bathroom, as water seeps out from under the caulking. It might be hard to see from this picture, but this is Ty's bedroom door. Just a little warped and happens to be right next to the bathroom.

When we showed Johannes, the quick fix was to raise the door up with washers. Then, he nailed the transition strip down. Now, the door definitely doesn't close properly.

The flooring in front of the kitchen sink {another water source... see the pattern?} is also completely warped and pulling apart. Opening the cupboard door- it smells like mold and mildew.

There are also random nails all over the laminate flooring throughtout the house in places that it must have started to buckle or warp. Not exactly our idea of a proper fix. At this point, bleach might help contain the mold a little. Warmer weather and being outside sounds like a even better plan.

If you look closely, you can see all of the random little nails...

No comments: