Tuesday, March 1, 2011

what about B LU E

I think we finally have this recycling thing figured out. I know garbage days are Mondays- one week they pick up our yellow and blue trash bags {two separate trucks at two separate times}. The next week, they pick up our {mini} black trash can with everything that doesn't fit in either gelb or blau. The only problem is they haven't picked up our glass and I can't figure out why. It's supposed to be monthly pick up but, we're going on six weeks and they still haven't made the rounds for collection.

Going on a recommendation from a neighbor, we decided to just drop it off ourselves to get rid of it. Sunday, since we were on our way out we loaded up our two bags of glass to take it to a recycle bin in a neighboring village. We found the bins for recycling- three bins together. One for white glass, one for green glass and the third for brown glass. How funny is that? Must be the most popular colors, I'm assuming. Is there a reason they're the most popular? Now, I want to look in our bags to see what colors we have. I'm sure we have blue bottles, or maybe we don't. Perhaps they go with green. I better figure it out- definitely don't need to be breaking any rules over here!
Come to find out, we weren't even able to dump our glass because after reading the label on the bin- we learned there are designated hours for dumping. Yes, designated hours- I'm serious. You are not allowed to dump glass on Sundays or German holidays- those are quiet days and I'm sure glass dumping would be way too loud. From Monday through Saturdays, you are only allowed to dump between the hours of 8:00am and 1:00 pm, then again from 3:00pm to 7:00pm.

Luckily, these signs are in German and also in English. Guess when they really want you to understand- they'll include the translation {very rare}. I'm sure they've had some clueless Americans interrupting their naps. Germans do like their quiet time!

No comments: