Thursday, March 10, 2011

sorta S I C K kids

Sick kids are never fun. For me, half-sick kids are way worse. I have Coleman home today and he definitely fits in this sorta-sick category that I don't deal well with. He was up in the night with a tummy ache, and absolutely didn't want to go to school. He loves school, loves his teacher. Yes, he's thrown up two nights this week and he's still having a hard time keeping solid foods from going straight through him. But, I think he's ok. Maybe, I'm too easy- I let him stay home. It's the whining, crying and demanding {mom...every 90 seconds} that I don't tolerate well at all.... no patience.

Caden's choice

In addition to Coleman, I've reached a whole new level of stress over here- online shopping for a formal dress. Crazy, yes. I definitely don't like shopping and never have, so I haven't really missed it here- until now. Jim has a formal event that we have to go to, so finding a dress is not an option. I had to find a dress. Being the palest shade of white I think I've ever been along with a body that desperately needs to be worked out make it an even harder task. 

I'm a pretty plain girl. I like simplicity, modesty and don't think I'm too picky. For this event, the email said blue or black long formal dresses. Shouldn't be too hard to find something, right? Actually, it's been a nightmare! It's especially tough shopping online for something that I think will work with my body since every one of them looks good on the model displaying it.

Coleman's pick
The first one I found said, "currently unavailable" when I added it to my cart. I'd really like to know- why is it still on the site? Another seemed perfect until I discovered the only sizes were a two or a four. Definitely won't work. Another one, I thought I liked until I read the reviews and found every one of the women who bought it and submitted a review was in the age category {50-65} and said it looked just stunning at their daughter or son's wedding. I really don't want to look like a washed-up mother-of-the-bride.

Yet again, I found another one only to find the average shipping time is 14-16 weeks. Too bad I don't have that many weeks- I need it shipped today. The next I really liked- just $1195.00. That ended my search at Saks.

Coleman and Caden offered to help as well picking out dresses they thought would work and look good. Oh, the five and six-year-old perspective.
this is the Saks Fifth Ave one that I wanted...
After spending a solid week looking online and even enrolling my sister's help, I finally found one that I think would look decent. I even picked out jewelry to match and got free shipping- bonus.

Ah, a sigh of relief until I got to the last stage of checking out and they let me know they won't ship to an APO address. When entering my address, the AE that we enter for our state {for Armed Forces Europe} even auto-filled in their drop box. I thought I was home free. Nope.

My next google was "dresses APO mailing" to see if I could do any better. I did find a nice site with stores listed that definitely ship to APO addresses. Nice. Going through this list, I narrowed it down to Nordstroms that would ship and had a couple options that might work.

Finally, I've found one and the order is placed. Now, it has to fit. I have no other options. Better get going on Justin's nightly ab workout and some serious push-ups. One of my secret desires is to learn to and eventually love running. One of these days, I'll get in shape- it would sure simplify times like these.

No comments: